Wine Night With the Tasting Room

I love wine.  For those who know me, they may even go so far to call me a wine snob - I'm okay with this.  I would even change it to a red wine snob.  I love dry reds.  The more peppery and drier the better.  The last time I reorganized my wine, the difference between reds and whites was impressive.


I also love Netflix and I saw an ad on Pinterest for the "Netflix of Wine" and I just had to explore.  Turns out there is a company called Tasting Room that sends you six mini bottles to taste and rate and then, based on your ratings, sends you a case (12 bottles) of different wines you may like for about $12 a bottle.

Since the six mini bottles were only $6, I figured I could try it out.  
The Tasting Room has you compare wines and rate which one you like better.
Here is my tasting...




White Wines



#1  2015 Le coq bleu - Cotes de Gascogne


My comments
The smell was very crisp with a hint of pear.  This Cotes de Gascogne a dry white, which I typically don't like... and that holds true here.  I was not a fan at first sip.
Vivino  |  Lot18


#2  2014 Beacon Ridge Chardonnay from California


My comments
The smell is more buttery than the first.  It's not as dry as the first, so I liked this Chardonnay a lot better.  It was smoother and less fruity and a milder flavor.  It's definitely not my favorite wine (remember my collection of red wines?), but it's a drinkable white for me.
Vivino  |  Lot18


Red Wines

#3  2014 Trilus Pinot Noir from California



My comments
Before I even smell this one, I'm going to start by telling you that I haven't liked a pinot wine yet.  This Pinot Noir smells a little oak-y and dry.  It's a bit sour and acidy.  It's not a strong enough fruity flavor.
Vivino  |  Lot18


#4  2014 Torambe Piedmont Barbera D'Asti


My comments
I'm having trouble with the smell of the Tornambe Barbera because it seems to fade quickly.  I get a little pepper and oak.  The taste is a lot stronger than you would guess by the smell, so that was a pleasant surprise.
Vivino  |  Lot18


#5  2014 Longwave Red Blend


My comments
Definitely a dry smell for this wine... I'm going to guess stainless steel barreled.  This red wine blend has a dryness that creeps up and hits you.  The taste is smooth.
Vivino  |  Lot18


#6  2016 Karma Lion Cabernet Sauvignon from South Africa


My comments
This Cabernet Sauvignon wins on smell - I get a little blackberry and chocolate aromas, definitely fruitier scent.  The taste was actually a little disappointing.  I was expecting a fuller taste but got smooth and quick to fade.  The dryness lingers a bit, but overall a bit disappointing.  With it being a 2016, it probably needed to age longer. 
Vivino  |  Lot18



And my favorite wine was...
#4  2014 Torambe Piedmont Barbera D'Asti
I thought this one had the best taste in my opinion.  I like the peppery, dry reds and this one had that.


My overall rank was
  1. 2014 Torambe Piedmont Barbera D'Asti
  2. 2014 Longwave Red Blend
  3. 2016 Karma Lion Cabernet Sauvignon from South Africa
  4. 2014 Beacon Ridge Chardonnay from California
  5. 2014 Trilus Pinot Noir from California
  6. 2015 Le coq bleu - Cotes de Gascogne

What is your favorite type of wine?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday Finds

Kohl's Haul

2019 Goals